1. Be a Buddy - Go and stand with the person who is the target of the bullying so they know they have a friend.
2. Interrupt- Ask the person who is the target of the bully to come and play. This gives them the opportunity to walk away from the situation.
3. Speak Out- Tell the bully to "Stop!" or tell them " You are being mean."
4. Tell an adult - this is not 'telling tales' this is helping to keep someone safe.
We also discussed the difference between 'conflict' and 'bullyng'.
Conflict is a disagreement or a difference of opinion.
Bullying is :-
2. Intended to hurt;- either physically or emotionally.
3. The bully is perceived (by the target of the bullying) to have more power. eg. bigger, older, part of a bigger group.
We discussed and drew the 4 UPstanding options to deal with bullies. On Friday we had a special STEM session to celebrate becoming UPstanders as it was a National Day Against Bullying. We coloured and cut out the characters from the NED UPstander video
and then investigated different features that help objects to stand up. The STEM challenge was to make the UPstander characters stand up.
At the end of the lesson we listened to the 2017 Kindies sing the song they created called UPstanders YEAH! This song features on our school website. Please see the videos below to view these resources.
Scroll down further to see a slideshow of our work.